Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven years later


It was Wednesday seven years ago. I lived in Milwaukee, WI and worked in Kenosha 37 miles south. I was driving to work when I heard that the airliner hit a building in New York. My first thought was that every idiot can get a license today. I arrived to work. A few people were discussing the news, but no one knew what was going on. My colleague Dave Johnson saw on CNN news that another plane hit another building. We didn't understand how serious was that and we started joking about drunk pilot and ....

Two hours later my wife called me. She couldn’t get her aunt in NY on the phone. Her family is in Queens, close to Manhattan. That evening I saw it in the news. Horror... History was always some old event described in the book. That day I felt for the first time that I'm living the history.

Three buildings in the World Trade Center Complex collapsed. Excluding the 19 hijackers, 2,974 people died in the attacks. Another 24 are missing and presumed dead. The overwhelming majority of casualties were civilians, including nationals of over 90 different countries.

I still remember next few days and brave actions by President Bush, NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and all New Yorkers. The New York City Fire Department lost 341 firefighters and 2 paramedics. The New York City Police Department lost 23 officers. The Port Authority Police Department lost 37 officers, as well as a K9 dog named Sirius. Private EMS units lost 8 additional EMTs and paramedics.

US responded with actions against terrorism in Afghanistan and Iraq. Popularity of President Bush went up to 83%. Today he is the one to blame for everything from hurricanes to price of oil and hard life of polar bears. For the last seven years we didn't have any terrorist attack in US.

Quote from Ann Coulter's article:
" By my count, roughly one in four books in print in the world at this very moment have the words 'Bush' and 'Lie' in their title. Barnes & Noble has been forced to add an 'I Hate Bush' section. I don't believe there are as many anti-Hitler books. As Bush has said, we have to be right 100 percent of the time, the terrorists only have to be right one time. Bush has been right 100 percent of the time for seven years -- so much so that Americans have completely forgotten about the threat of Islamic terrorism. "

BUSH 7, TERRORISTS 0



0 comments: